Monday – Thursday: 11am to 10pm
Friday – Saturday: 11am to 1am
1970 Hamilton St, Regina, SK S4P 2C4
Monday – Thursday: 11am to 10pm
Friday – Saturday: 11am to 1am
1970 Hamilton St, Regina, SK S4P 2C4
“Almost everything is gluten free on that menu at 20ten, or can be modified to be gluten free. We try to cater to go as much as we can. All our soups are GF, our creme brulee is…and soon our cheesecakes will be too.
We have even done custom menus for gluten free vegans…but that has to be called in a day or 2 in advance”
Recently I have taken a side job at Costco in Regina, Sask. This is what I have learned:
At the end of the month
The store will be 30,000 Sq.ft. bigger than the current store
It will have wider isles
It will have more checkouts and more gas bar lanes
It will be adding 300 new items
The food courts will have chicken wings
There will be no alcohol sold
There’s bigger carts
The new Costco is one of the bigger stores in North America
Costco has only done one other move
YES, there will be more parking!
The New Costco is open today November 2nd!
We started out with speeches and clapping the first customers through the doors.
The gentleman who opened the Costco warehouse (520) 25 years ago was there to shut it down! Emotions were high. There were people who have been in that building for most of their lives.
The staff had no idea what to expect Nov.1. We had no Idea floor models would be put on sale. We had heard a rumour maybe meat and produce would be put on sale at about 3ish. Head office came in. Not even supervisors knew the whole plans for the day. They Started slashing prices at 2:30 and it was pandemonium. It was like Black Friday in the U.S.
Costco Facts for Regina:
– The Costco flowers come from Winnipeg and Columbia.
– Employees don’t get a discount
– When the store it closed employees have to wear safety vests because the forklifts have the right of way.
– The old Costco was the only Costco with a basement.
– If you see your cashier “doing a drop” it means the till has locked them out until they complete a transfer of money to the vault. *cool fact* The old store did its drops via a pneumatic tube system
– Our Costco donates “food waste” (food that’s not pretty enough, is missing an item, has 1 in a package that has gone bad etc.) to the food bank.
– When our location is “busy” it is a million dollar day.
– People come in at 4 a.m. to prepare for a day of shoppers. During the holidays, it’s running 24/7.
– Regina has 421 Staff members.
– The reason why we ask for your membership card way in advance is that most people have to look for their card and by the time it’s your turn to go through the check out we need your card to start. The cashiers are timed on their items per transaction. So they need the cards to make sure the lines are moving fast.
– If an employee can’t tell you exactly where something is, it’s because pallets are moved nightly. We might not know exactly what we have on the floor as it is easy to sell out of an item in a day.
Regina sells the most pumpkin pies out of all the Costcos. This year (2018) Costco sold over 11,000 in Thanksgiving week. The record for this store 12,500 on this week. The bakery for this week runs 24/7 with all the staff it can fit into the kitchen and will still sell out up to 3 times a day.
Coming from the Vanbelle Nursery in Abbotsford, Regina location is the #1 seller of fruit-bearing shrubs in western provinces (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, haskaps)
Our top sellers are chicken and beef.
What you’re not told:
– The people giving out samples don’t actually work for Costco.
– Bag your meat! There has been a lot of bloody accidents, literally. Save the back seat of your vehicle, the cashier and the bagger from getting covered in blood from the leaky meat.
– Pick up a box- Often times cashiers have no boxes because none have been delivered to the front. So if you’re shopping and you see one you like, grab it.
– Reusable bags drive us nuts- If you’re going to use them have them clean and ready, you wouldn’t believe the things we have found in them.
– Bag the Rotisserie chickens too. The condensate and spill chicken water everywhere in your vehicle. SAVE YOURSELF, GET A BAG!
– Leave the heavy things in the cart, you don’t want to lift them, neither do we.
– There are geese that nest every year in the old parking lot. They are mean, will chase members, and stop traffic. They are the Costco geese. They are usually by the tire centre. The seagulls aren’t much better.
– Costco said it sold 87 million rotisserie chickens last year. Thus, they have their own chicken farm. The plant processes about 100 million birds per year, or about a quarter of Costco’s annual appetite.
– Costco has a poultry farm that produces one-third of all its chickens, raw or otherwise. Costco sells roughly 80 million on average of its rotisserie chickens per year.
Costco has already made investments in the organic food space in the hopes of ensuring greater organic food supply in the future, according to the Seattle Times.
See some of the gluten-free items
or website– Note** The store doesn’t carry everything that is online and online doesn’t carry everything in the store. The sales are often different as well.
It’s not what’s on your plate,
it’s what’s in your food.
Our mission is to make lives better by allowing people to enjoy the benefits of eating healthy, without compromising on taste. Our food is deliciously grilled, baked, or steamed to perfection and cooked with only the highest quality ingredients.
Eat Clean does meal prep orders to plan for your upcoming week. They have 10,20,30,60 meal packages to help you stay on track and make your life more convenient.
They also have a restaurant front and express food for lunches and suppers.
Keto, Bodybuilding, weight loss, meals prep
Good For Kids
No cook or cleaning dishes let us take away the hassle of preparing foods for the week.
Affordable and convenient healthy meals just a call away
In many cases, foods that are naturally gluten-free end up contain added gluten. Sometimes this can slip by us, and that when the suffering begins. To avoid suffering needlessly, be sure to keep a sharp eye on labels, and beware of added or hidden gluten, even in food labeled gluten-free. Use Celiac.com’s SAFE Gluten-Free Food List and UNSAFE Gluten-free Food List as a guide.
Also, beware of these common mistakes that can ruin your gluten-free diet. Watch out for:
Eating Out? If you eat out, consider that many restaurants use a shared grill or shared cooking oil for regular and gluten-free foods, so be careful. Also, watch for flour in otherwise gluten-free spices, as per above
Ask questions, and stay vigilant.
Skye Bistro & Café is a restaurant and coffee bar located inside the Saskatchewan Science Centre. Surrounded by the beauty of Wascana Park, Regina’s massive 2,300-acre urban park, it is a place where the city’s hallmarks of art, history and science meet forest-fresh air, wildlife conservation areas and year-round outdoor recreation.\
Private dining at Skye Cafe & Bistro
From Groups of 15 to 58 people ..
– Custom made menu
– Saskatchewan ingredients
– globally inspired cuisine
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
2903 Powerhouse Dr
Phone: 306-352-SKYE (7593)
Tuesday to Friday – 9:30 AM to 5 PM
Saturdays – 10 AM to 5 PM
Sundays – 10 AM to 4 PM
Closed Mondays and holidays to be with our young family.
If you were to buy a gluten-free and vegetarian frozen meal from the store it costs at least $7 plus tax. When I stay out at the farm I would find myself buying WAY too many store-bought microwaveable dinners because we don’t have an oven or a stove. This year I’ve been committed to vacuum sealing leftovers and freezing it.
I am so happy I started doing this. It saves me money and gets rid of leftovers you get sick of. This is also perfect for lunches for one!
On my wedding registry, I asked for a Foodsaver knowing I bake a lot. The Anderson Family delivered and I’ve been using it ever since. I cook a lot, and I’ve started to freeze the leftovers to save the waste! Oh and guess what, BPA Free!
*Note* This is not paid for, or promoted by the company. Their website www.foodsaver.ca
Do you have tips and tricks to eating gluten-free? Let us know Glutenfreergina@gmail.com
This cute and cosy little restaurant has the small town feel with big city eats! I had a GF grilled cheese (sans beef) and salad (no separate fryer).
Today we went to Craven. I watched the Sasktel Commercial that 641 was featured in. I messaged them asking what they had for GF options and they returned with:
“Hi! Pretty gluten friendly! We have quite a few GF options & have gf bread so can substitute most sandwiches & burgers. However, our deep fryer isn’t totally gfree.”
The salad came with beets, walnuts, goat cheese, and raspberry(?) vinegarette. The Grilled Cheese had smoked gouda, which usually I hate, but it was delicious! My friend laughed at me because it was so cheesy I had to cut the strings with my fingers to eat it. The grilled cheese usually comes with beef, but because I’m a vegetarian I nixed it.
My friend had a pulled chicken sandwich and enjoyed it! It’s got that small town feel and I would recommend it!
I’m not a big fan of tomato based vegetable broths so when I found a blog about saving your vegetable scraps to make your own broth I thought it was worth a try. Being a vegetarian it didn’t take long for the scraps to add up. I kept them in the freezer and just added to the bag as I was cooking.
In the scraps, there were onion peels, the inside of peppers, the ends and middle of garlic cloves, dill stems, celery, parsley, thyme and rosemary stems, Jalapeno gits, Bok Choy ends. Pretty Much anything I used in the kitchen. I wrapped the frozen lump of vegetable into cheesecloth and boiled them.
I read somewhere for the best flavour to boil for an hour. Which I did and I simmered for a couple hours. I also ended up adding salt…Because I’m a salt junky.
While boiling the stock I also multi-tasked and boiled my jars and lids. Sterilize, Sterilize, Sterilize. As you can see I’m a huge supporter of Classico because you can reuse their jars. However, you have to be sure they seal. I have had lids that the rubber melts off.
Setting everything aside that was sterilized I didn’t realise exactly how much broth I boiled so I ended up having to do a couple rounds of jar sterilization to keep up.
As the broth became ready I also got the lids ready to seal. Remember to stir to let the bubbles out and wipe the top of the jars to make the seal.
With both elements going it got quite warm in the kitchen. It of course only got worse when I added the pressure canner.
The pot I made the broth in after jarring was then washed out and became the pot that I pressure canned in. I filled it with various different sizes of jars. I cooked at 15 pounds (Im sure I could have done 10) for 30 minutes.
I ended up cooking 4 batches. In between, I stored all of the broth in the jars in my kitchen sink in hot water. Sometimes if the liquid gets cold the jars will shatter in the pressure cooker.
It took me a few days to complete. The broth turned out delicious. My house smells great and I have enough broth to last me for a year!
Gluten Free Regina is a not for profit group out of Regina, Saskatchewan. We are happy to help with any questions you may have and also recommend products and restaurants in and around the city. In this post, we recommend products that we have a tried and enjoyed.
You can order Bisquick Baking mix here:
I’ve written about them before in a blog, I have to admit because they are from Regina I feel like I should be giving them an extra little push! You don’t need to give up your oats! you can have the and several oat based mixes from Avena Foods.
You can order online here:
Are you missing your Kraft Dinner? We all get cravings. Enjoy Annie’s gluten-free version!
You can order it online:
On the run? I find these bars awesome for a quick snack. I also, usually have a handful of them if I’m flying. They are delicious and come in a variety of flavours. They also do not taste like meal supplement bars. They are quite tasty!
Click to order online:
These cookie crumbs are perfect for crumbles and pie crusts. I’ve used them in several deserts.
You can order them online: