Units: US | Metric
7 -8 ounces fine dried noodles (rice sticks)
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil
5 tablespoons peanut oil or 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 ounces raw lean pork, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch julienne
4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch julienne
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 -2 fresh hot chili pepper, partly seeded and slivered
3 ounces Chinese barbecue pork or 3 ounces smoked ham, cut into 1/4 inch julienne
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch julienne
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch julienne
12 whole scallions, cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch lengths
1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts or 1 1/2 cups shredded napa cabbage
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2. Drop in the rice noodles and boil until tender but firm to the bite, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- 4. Let the noodle air-dry and firm up in a colander for at least 30 minutes or as long as 2 to 3 hours; toss occasionally.
- 5. When you are ready to prepare the dish, whisk together the eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of the curry powder, and all of the sesame oil until blended.
- 6. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of the peanut or vegetable oil into a heavy skillet or wok set over moderately high heat.
- 7. Pour in the egg mixture and immediately reduce the heat to low.
- 8. Scramble the eggs until just set; turn out onto a plate and reserve.
- 9. Return the skillet to moderately high heat and spoon in 1/2 tablespoon of the oil.
- 10. Add the shrimp and stir fry until just barely cooked, about 1 minute (they will cook more later).
- 11. Remove the shrimp and reserve in a small bowl.
- 12. Return the skillet to moderately high heat and spoon in 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- 13. Add the pork and chicken and stir fry until just cooked, about 1 minute.
- 14. Remove and reserve in a small bowl.
- 15. Place a large, heavy wok over high heat.
- 16. When very hot, spoon in 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- 17. Add the ginger, garlic, chilies, and the remaining curry powder.
- 18. Stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 19. Add the Chinese pork or ham and red and green bell peppers and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- 20. Sprinkle on 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and cook until it boils away.
- 21. Push the ingredients to the sides of the wok and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- 22. Add the scallions, bean sprouts, and noodles and toss over high heat until very hot, about 30 seconds.
- 23. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 24. Return the shrimp, pork, and chicken to the wok and add the soy sauce and sherry.
- 25. Toss well and add the salt and the reserved scrambled eggs.
- 26. Sprinkle on the cilantro and turn out onto a larger platter.
- 27. Serve hot.
****I always put way more curry powder in it.