A unique gluten free pasta…it contains cocoa! While you may assume it tastes like a chocolate bar, it does not, unless you add sugar for desserts. It provides an earthy flavor in savory dishes.Experience its earthy flavor….
1/3 cup combination cornstarch and potato starch (or one or the other if allergic to one) + more for dusting
1 Tablespoon gluten-free cocoa powder (Hershey’s, Ghirardelli) + more for dusting
1 1/3 teaspoons xanthan gum (or guar gum) Pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar (for dessert pasta)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (I used extra light in flavor) Basil Cream Sauce (optional) Creamy Garlic Sauce (optional) Creamy Pesto Sauce (optional)
- Into a bowl, sift together starches, cocoa, xanthan gum, confectioners’ sugar (if using) and salt.
- Add egg and oil and using a silicone spatula or spoon, stir until well combined. Knead in your hands by squeezing the dough several times until smooth, about 5 minutes, adding cocoa powder and potato starch as needed.
- Dust a rolling surface with a little cocoa powder and potato starch. Roll out the dough to as thin as possible, less than 1/16-inch, turning over each time you roll.
- Cut into strips like fettuccine pasta or cut circles for ravioli. You can even use circles for desserts
- You can roll the slices out again after cutting them to be sure it stays thin. Add water to a medium-size saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta and cook 9 – 12 minutes, (a minimum of 2 minutes, even for dessert pasta). Cooking time will vary depending upon thickness, and how tender you like your pasta. Test for doneness.
- Drain and the pasta rinse under running cold water
- Serve with a piping hot cream or wine sauce for savory dishes. Alfredo sauce is popular. You can also serve it with a sweetened berry puree with whipped cream. You can even drizzle some chocolate sauce over the top. Garnish desserts with berries and mint leaves, if desired. Below you will see where I mixed 1 oz. cream cheese, 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar and 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla. Then topped it with naturally sweetened jam. Another option is combine some mashed raspberries or strawberries with some sugar and add some whipped cream and fresh berries
This Recipe was taken from: http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-chocolate-pasta-recipe/